International Academic Alliance (IAA) seeks qualified American teachers in a variety of subjects to teach in our American High School Honors program at elite Chinese high schools in the affluent cities of Ningbo, Xuzhou, Qingdao, and Shenyang. The program is affiliated with the Rutgers Preparatory High School and Syracuse University. The high school and college courses include:
- Math: Pre-Calculus
- English: High School English, Critical Thinking, English Literature, English Composition
- Technology: Information Technologies, Web-Design
- Social Studies: World History, American History
- Test Prep: TOEFL and SAT
- College Readiness: College Writing, Research Writing, Presentational Skills, Calculus 1 and Calculus 2
- Leadership: College Counseling, Career Exploration, Leadership Projects, Senior Thesis, Clubs
The successful candidate will receive pre-service training by Rutgers Prep High School. Teacher who qualify to teacher the Syracuse University college level courses will attend a one-week pre-service training program at Syracuse University in the summer. Additionally, IAA provides teachers with on-going training and teacher development through its Teacher Alliance Project.
- Instructors will teach Humanities and/or Social Studies courses within the IAA American High School Honors program. Our curriculum follows the Common Core State Standards and focuses on subjects like Literature, US History, Critical Thinking, English Composition, Research Writing, Public Speaking and Leadership Development.
- Instructors who qualify to teach Syracuse University credit courses will receive pre-service training at Syracuse University.
1. Teachers instruct up to 20 hours per week. Teachers will work closely with the Program's Center Director on:
- Effective teaching of curricula;
- course delivery;
- managing and resolving classroom and student issues;
- program development and evaluation.
2. Participate in ongoing professional development training in teaching approaches, course evaluation, and program assessment.
3. Participate in student progress tracking and provide student with academic/counseling support to ensure their success.
4. Coach students on academic goal setting and skills development.
Terms are for a 10-month contract or a 2-year contract
- 10-month contract (from first day of Fall on Sep 1 to last day of Spring semester around July 5)
- 2 year contract of 24 months: (from first day of Fall on Sep 1 to last day of Spring semester around July 5 of the 3rd year)
- Bachelor's degree with subject specialization
- TESOL or Teaching English to Speakers of Foreign Languages certification preferred however we do provide certification training for candidates without certification
- Prior teaching experience preferred
- Clean criminal record
- Candidates seeking additional approval to teach American college credit courses must possess a Master's degree in the course field from an accredited university, and prior teaching experience in the field
- Be able to adapt to new cultures.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications. Average net $2,500 per month after taxes, room and airfare, health insurance and training. Teachers will be provided with:
- Accommodation: Private 1-bedroom furnished apartment close to school provided.
- Health insurance provided.
- Visa: assistance with all visa procedures.
- 1 roundtrip air ticket per contract
The candidate should email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter;
- Scanned copies of diploma and transcripts;
- Publication agenda;
- Syllabus of courses taught previously (if available);
- References (if available).
About International Academic Alliance:
The International Academic Alliance (IAA) offer the American High School Honors program at elite Chinese High Schools in various provinces in China. This program consists of rigorous academic English courses, high school language arts, science, social science, test prep, and American college credit coursework. IAA collaborates with Chinese high schools to create curricula meeting international high school standards.
Over the course of a 3-year study plan, students develop:
- University level academic skills
- Competitive TOEFL and SAT test scores
- A strong extracurricular activities portfolio
- College readiness skills with transferable American university courses